Donate Stocks & Securities
You invest. A child profits. It’s that simple. By making a donation in the form of stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other appreciated securities, you are making an investment in the future of children in your community. As a donor, you are entitled to take a charitable deduction for the full fair-market value of appreciated securities held longer than one year, and you usually avoid paying the capital gains tax that would be due if you sold the securities.
Donating Stock or Bonds Held By a Bank or Broker
If your equities are currently held at a bank or in a brokerage account, please provide the following information to your financial institution. Securities can be sent electronically.
- Security to be gifted (Microsoft stock, for example)
- Quantity to be gifted (100 shares, for example)
- Recipient – Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas
- Receiving Bank – Wells Fargo
- Special instructions, if any
Contact Sara Trexler, Director of Development, for specific bank information.
(704) 910-1301 ext.1015
Donating Stock Certificates You Hold
Send the unsigned certificates by certified mail to the attention of Sara Trexler, Director of Development, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas, 3801 East Independence Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28205.
Copy and send one blank stock Power of Attorney for each company whose stock you are transferring. Only the signature line should be filled in, with the signature(s) matching the name(s) that appear on the face of the certificates. Include both names if the stock is jointly owned. The Power of Attorney must be notarized.
Send the certificates and stock powers in separate envelopes. Send the signed stock power in one and the stock certificate(s) in the other with a letter (also signed by the owner(s) of the stock) stating that the stock is being donated to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas.
Effective Date and Value of Your Gift
Your gift of stock or publicly traded securities will be valued based on the mean market price of the securities on the gift date. We will provide you with a receipt for your tax records. Big Brothers Big Sisters determines your gift date according to the following guidelines:
- For the donor’s tax purposes, the stock will be valued at the closing price of the stock on the day that the stock transfers from the donor’s account to our agency’s brokerage account.
- By hand, it is the date that a Big Brothers Big Sisters’ employee receives the stock certificates and stock powers of attorney.
- By reregistering securities in Big Brothers Big Sisters’ name yourself, it is the date on the new certificates (this method takes the longest).
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Sara Trexler, Director of Development, firstname.lastname@example.org, (704) 910-1301 ext. 1015.
Thank you for your support!